Monday, November 14, 2011

Long Time - No Entry

I know many of you want to know how things are going, and the truth is - very well (for the most part). Of course all six kids and Mom and Dad have our moments, but everyone seems to be adjusting very well. I haven't quite figured out when I'm supposed to clean or do laundry - or sleep for that matter. Our house went from loud to louder, messy to messier and crazy to crazier. We've had lots more chaos and tear, garbage bags filled and loads of laundry to wash, but we've also had lots more smiles, laughs, giggles, hugs, kisses and love going around too. God has truly blessed us!


I journaled almost everyday while I was in Congo, and I thought I'd share those entries with those of you who prayed along with us so that you could see how your prayers were both felt and answered. I'll start with the beginning and try to send one out every day or two (no promises here). This entry is much shorter than most. I was totally exhausted.


Day One in Kinshasa - 9/26/2011

It's been a whirlwind to say the least! Everything was pretty uneventful until the airport in Kinshasa.The best way to put it is chaos. Everyone tries to bribe you. We finally got out without paying any bribes and met Flavien (the orphanage director) and Seraphin (our Kinshasa contact). We eventually got everything packed in the car and headed out. Then - we got a flat - in the pitch black, in what appeared to be the slums, in Kinshasa - street kids everywhere, hundreds of people walking by and looking the windows and just Sarah and me in the car while Flavien and Seraphin changed the tire! Thankfully it was the fasted tire change I have ever witnessed (these guys could definitely make a NASCAR pit crew proud), and we were on our way to the hotel. As soon as we arrived, Flavien asked if I'd like to meet the kids (it was 10pm in Kinshasa and we had been traveling for over 24 hours). I still couldn't resist, so we walked down the hall. I got to meet Safari - Sandrine and Moses were asleep. He was very shy and didn't want to talk. I got him to smile little when I tickled him. He is beautiful! Tomorrow is the big day - my babies actually get to spend the first day and night with me for the first time.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Your family is beautiful and I look forward to reading your journals. Hopefully very soon we will be a family with 6 kids under six! So I'll be watching your blog for advice :)

Carrie
www.grace-and-haven.blogspot.com