I skipped a day in my journal, so I want to fill in what happened that day, and then I'll add my journal entry.
Day 3 9/28
We spent the entire day at the hospital and still were not finished with the kids' medicals for the embassy. We were there for over 7 hours. I stayed with Moses as much as possible but had to leave several times to pay for the exams or sign hospital documents. Moses was extremely weak, but he didn't have a fever any longer. After much convincing from Flavien and myself, the doctor finally decided to release him. I was very happy that I could take him home but just as nervous that something bad would still happen because he was just very sick and weak. They gave me a list of everything that they pumped into his IV, a total of 10 different medications, and three prescriptions to take to the hotel. We never were told what was wrong with him or how we were supposed to administer the prescriptions. Thankfully, Sarah was a pharmacist and was able to help me figure out some of the meds. I was also able to reach my friend Holly who had lived in Congo and is a nurse practitioner. We decided to only give him two of the prescriptions because the dosage on the third was WAY too high for a baby.
Moses fell asleep at 5:30 pm and had only eaten a total 6 ounces of formula the entire day! Sandrine and Safari went to sleep much easier. It only took 30 minutes for Sandrine and Safari was immediate. I waited for Moses to wake up, but he never did. I was so scared that he wasn't going to make it. He was so small and malnourished, very sick and reusing to eat. I tried to wake him before going to sleep so that he could eat, but I could get him to wake up. I laid him down between Sarah and myself and felt completely helpless. He slept very soundly, didn't move an inch. I couldn't sleep. My eyes opened every few minutes it seemed like, and all I could do was pray that he would make it through the night and start eating. He sucks his fingers a lot, so a couple times during the night, I pulled them out and stuck a bottle in. He drank about 4 ounces through the night.
Journal Entry 3 (Day 4) - 9/29/2011
Yesterday was so crazy that I didn't have time to write. I knew that nothing happened quickly in Congo, but now I know why. It literally takes a day to do anything. Yesterday we left the hotel at 9am, went to the hospital and returned at 5pm - no other stops, no meals - 8 hours! Moses got to leave the hospital. He is doing so well today. He ate a little rice cereal this morning (the first time he had been fed with a spoon) and has had 3 bottles so far. He is interacting a little and even almost smiles a few times. I feel so much better about his health. He is so small - 12 month clothes swallow him.
Today Sandrine told Flavien that she likes her mother! She is doing really well. She is a lot like Kiera - she wants to be in control. It will be interesting to see how they get along. Safari really started pushing the limits today. I finally had to put him in time out. After two times, he was like a different kid. He is very helpful - tonight he helped me wash the dishes, fed Moses a little of his bottle. He likes to aggravate Sandrine. She is terrified of the baby do that I brought for her, literally freaks out, and he likes to chase her with it. She finally changed her shoes today. An, both of the actually got in the tub tonight, no soap - but got in the tub! They both have put on a concert the last two nights, drums, singing, dancing - it's great. They have learned some English words, especially "more please." It's been crazy but good.


No comments:
Post a Comment